Thursday, January 13, 2011

Resolutions


It seems impossible that we are nearly two weeks into the new year already. What health and wellness resolutions have you made, and how are you doing so far? Here’s my list, with progress notes.

1. I will eat more sustainable fish. This resolution has been an easy one to stick with. Fish is an excellent source of lean protein, and it’s low in calories and fat (when prepared correctly). Many varieties have a mild, delicate flavor, and simple vegetable and fruit preparations add a flavorful punch, while keeping nutrition the top priority. Here are a few links to some of my favorite recipes:

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000001591120

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000000592330

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000000549851

Or, try this simple idea: make a pocket of baking parchment. Fill it with Chilean sea bass, chopped plum tomatoes, two sliced scallions, diced bell pepper (any color), a generous handful of cilantro, and salt to taste. Bake at 450 for 30 minutes or until done. Careful opening the parchment – it will be hot! SO YUMMY!

2. I will be more disciplined about my workout routine. My original notion was that I would devote three days each per week to cardio and strength training, with one blessed day of rest. This resolution has been more challenging. Scheduling and pre-paying sessions with a personal trainer and a workout partner has forced me to make strength training a priority. But when left to my own devices, the cardio workout has taken the back burner to home projects, work assignments, and the schedules of my husband and children. But I’m not giving up yet! I plan to use the rest of the month to organize my schedule, and find places to carve out an extra hour here and there to make this work.

3. I will give up my midday caffeine bender. Okay, I’ve utterly failed this one. Any suggestions?

Being mindful of healthy behavior, and assessing progress along the way, are the most helpful steps I’ve taken to stick with health resolutions. Wishing you all the best of luck and the best of health in 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment